For me one of the most important things when it comes to making food particularly on a week-night is that I need the food to be quick. I hate eating after 8pm during the week because I never seem to sleep well I don’t know if I ‘invented’ this little hack but it came about when all I had in the fridge was an aubergine/ eggplant and some mozzarella!
you will need
- 1 large aubergine
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
- 1/2 tsp garlic
- 1/2 tsp fresh chillies if you like a bit of spice
- 1/2 ball of mozzarella
- 1 tbsp pesto
- handful of cherry tomatoes
The best part about this quick meal is that it takes around 30 minutes to make including all the prep time – that’s fridge to plate in 30 minutes. I always keep mine veggie so that it’s easier to keep and re-heat for lunch or dinner later in the week.
- Cut the two curved sides off the aubergine and then cut the large chunk through the middle to create two thinner slices of aubergine. I like to just make two thick slices but if you were serving as a starter or cooking for lunch you could get 3-4 slices per aubergine
- Drizzle with a little olive oil on both sides and place on a baking tray in in a pre-heated oven at 200 degrees for 20 minutes turning over half way through
- Mix the tomato puree with some garlic and chilli – either use pre-chopped or fresh depending on your preference / level of laziness!
- After 20 minutes the aubergine should be golden brown remove from the oven and spread the tomato and garlic mix evenly over the two slices top with anything you want to add. I usually go with a few cherry tomatoes, homemade pesto and mozzarella
- Pop back in the oven for a further 5-10 minutes until the cheese is melted and hey-PESTO… get it?