I’ve seen a lot of abuse directed at bloggers – turned recipe book writers over the last few weeks in the press. Some of the most successful food bloggers in our community like Deliciously Ella, Hemsley + Hemlsey, Madeleine Shaw and the like – because they are promoting a different – or ‘dangerous’ if you’re an inflammatory click bait journalist – way of eating. I haven’t seen the same abuse directed at bloggers who always bake cupcakes or cover everything in peanut butter?
I’m not healthy and I’m certainly not a ‘wellness’ addict but I’ve read these recipe books, they are some of the best written ones I’ve ever owned. Hugely informative, detailed and full of opinions – not advice. These are recipes and lifestyles that have worked for bloggers rather than writing a diet plan like atkins, 5:2 or weight watchers it’s just giving people an opinion. So… here’s my ‘healthy’ cheesecake – not it’s not healthy just because it’s vegan, dairy free, gluten free, refined sugar free etc etc – it’s just a little bit better for me than a cheesecake factory cheesecake!
- Line a square or rectangular cake tin with baking paper
- Blend together all the base ingredients in a food processor and empty into the lined tin. Using the back of a spoon compact the mixture and then place in the freezer for a few hours
- Mix all the filling ingredients until creamy and add to the top of the base – this will take a lot longer than you expect but have patience
- Top with some lime zest and leave in the freezer for 5+ hours
- Cut into sections and share with everyone!
You Will Need
For the Base:
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup pistachios
- 1 cup dates (medjool works best)
- 3 tbsps coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
For the Filling:
- 2 cups of cashews soaked overnight in water
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 1.5 cups desiccated coconut
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 tsps vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup maple syrup